March 18, 2018
BOISE, Idaho – Air Force freshmen Meredith Jones and Ashleigh Harvey picked up individual wins in the Falcons’ 5-2 loss to Boise State in the Mountain West conference opener, Sunday afternoon, in Boise, Idaho. Air Force’s overall record drops to 9-3.
“The team competed well and left everything out there,” said head coach Kim Gidley. “Boise State always has excellent doubles and makes us earn everything. I have a lot of respect for their program.”
The Falcons battled tough in all three doubles positions but came up short of a win. TJ Fumagalli and Elizabeth Barnickel, who are the Falcons’ go-to duo in the No. 1 doubles position, were battling for a win when the match point was clinched. The duo did not finish. They remain at 7-0 in dual action at the No. 1 position.
“I felt we played well enough to win the doubles point, but just were not able to convert when we had the leads,” continued Gidley. “This is early for conference play for us, so I feel like we will be able to make adjustments and get better from this experience.”
Air Force’s freshmen Jones and Harvey showed promise in positions four and five, going 2-0 on the weekend. Jones improved to a 9-2 dual record in the wake of her win against Wiktoria Nosek, 6-0, 4-6, 7-5, at position No. 4. In the No. 5 position, Harvey handled Vanessa Timm, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, to improve to 10-1 on her singles dual slate.
“In the singles, the team battled hard and just fell short. It is great to see our freshmen step up and convert in the three set matches to give the team their wins. Jones and Harvey have big time games and are fun to watch!”
Air Force returns home for a non-conference double-header on Mar. 22 against Western New Mexico and Oklahoma Baptist. Matches are slated for the Indoor Tennis Courts of Cadet Gymnasium, at 12:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively.
AIR FORCE at BOISE STATE*, Mar. 18
- Wiktoria Nosek/Anja Dokic (BSU) DNF TJ Fumagalli/Elizabeth Barnickel (AF) 6-5 DNF
- Nancy Menjivar/Wilhelmina Palmer (BSU) def. Meredith Jones/Ashleigh Harvey (AF) 6-4
- Vanessa Timm/Hanna Kantenwein (BSU) def. Meredith Laskey/Carley Hatcliff (AF) 6-2
- Wilhelmina Palmer (BSU) def. TJ Fumagalli (AF) 6-3, 7-5
- Anja Dokic (BSU) def. Elizabeth Barnickel (AF) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
- Hanna Kantenwein (BSU) def. Meredith Laskey (AF) 6-4, 6-0
- Meredith Jones (AF) def. Wiktoria Nosek (BSU) 6-0, 4-6, 7-5
- Ashleigh Harvey (AF) def. Vanessa Timm (BSU) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
- Nancy Menjivar (BSU) def. Carley Hatcliff (AF) 6-1, 6-2
FINAL: BOISE STATE 5, AIR FORCE 2