Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE – After sweeping through the Saturday at the Tiger Beach Challenge, LSU defeated the College of Charleston and No. 18 Tulane on Sunday, to finish its first home tournament of the season with a 5-0 record.
The Tigers are now 12-9 on the season.
“When you play at home, you expect to play better and we did this weekend,” said coach Russell Brock. “One of the bigger challenges is playing five matches in a weekend. To come through unscathed and having to earn every court, that’s what I was proudest about.”
To open the day, LSU played the College of Charleston. Emmy Allen and Megan Davenport started the day off strong for LSU on Court 4. The duo won in consecutive sets, 21-15 and 21-17. While that was going on, Riley Young and Maddie Ligon made quick work on Court 5, sweeping, 21-19 and 21-16, to give LSU a 2-0 lead of the College of Charleston.
Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss continued their impressive season on Court 1 winning in back-to-back style, 21-19 and 21-18, clinching the match for the Tigers. Immediately after Coppola and Nuss finished on Court 1, Haleigh Nelson and Ashley Allmer took the second set on Court 2, 21-18, after winning the first set, 21-13.
Olivia Powers and Hunter Domanski fell on Court 3 in consecutive sets, 21-18 and 21-19, but LSU beat the College of Charleston, 4-1.
That would be the only court that LSU dropped on the day, as it swept No. 18 Tulane in the afternoon.
Davenport and Allen started the sweep of Tulane with a sweep for themselves on Court 4, winning 21-16 and 21-17. Ligon and Young followed that with a comeback win on Court 5. The duo fell in the first set, 21-18, before coming back for a second set, 21-12, victory. The Tiger duo won in the third set, 15-10.
On Court 1, Coppola and Nuss finished with their fifth two-set victory in that many tries this weekend. The duo won, 21-14 and 21-18, clinching the match for LSU over Tulane.
After winning, 22-20, on Court 2, Nelson and Allmer fell in the second set, 21-14. The duo put LSU up 4-0, with a 15-11 third-set win.
Tulane would not go down easy on Court 3. Domanski and Powers won in set two 21-14 after falling in the first set, 21-16. The third set went back and forth before Domanski and Powers finally got the win, 22-20, giving LSU the 5-0 sweep over Tulane.
“Every time we play Tulane, they will get after us,” said Brock. “To able to beat them 5-0 just shows how hard our team was fighting this weekend.”
The Tigers will be back at home this Friday and Saturday in the LSU Beach Invitational and it will play four matches March 30-31.
“We will get after it this week on Spring Break,” said Brock. “We will get rested, but also get focused and get prepared for next weekend. We’re going to have to play well again.”
#10 LSU def. College of Charleston, 4-1
1. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) def. Krissy Mummey/Katja Ehlers (COFC) 21-19, 21-18
2. Haleigh Nelson/Ashley Allmer (LSU) def. Mckala Rhodes/Devon Rachel (COFC) 21-13, 21-18
3. Kennedy Madison/Riana Brennan (COFC) def. Olivia Powers/Hunter Domanski (LSU) 21-18, 21-19
4. Emmy Allen/Megan Davenport (LSU) def. Allison Beckman/Lauren Freed (COFC) 21-15, 21-17
5. Riley Young/Maddie Ligon (LSU) def. Taylor Foley/Logan Manusky (COFC) 21-9, 21-16
Ext. Mandi Orellana/Lilly Kessler (LSU) def. Britney Vallez/Lauren Hollman (COFC) 21-17, 21-9
#10 LSU def. #18 Tulane, 5-0
1. Kristen Nuss/Claire Coppola (LSU) def. Kaylie McHugh/Madeline Mertz (TULANE) 21-14, 21-18
2. Haleigh Nelson/Ashley Allmer (LSU) def. Tarin Mergener/Lan Nguyen (TULANE) 22-20, 14-21, 15-11
3. Hunter Domanski/Olivia Powers (LSU) def. Anna Chin/Lauren Olrich (TULANE) 16-21, 21-14, 22-20
4. Megan Davenport/Emmy Allen (LSU) def. Gabriella Becerra/Rio Frohoff (TULANE) 21-16, 21-17
5. Maddie Ligon/Riley Young (LSU) def. Ashley Delgado/Addison Hermstad (TULANE) 18-21, 21-12, 15-10
Ext. Gina Tillis/Lilly Kessler (LSU) def. Carleigh Semeniuk/Morgan Esters (TULANE) 21-8, 22-20