Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE – In its first home matches of the season, the LSU beach volleyball team swept through all three, beating No. 20 Florida Atlatnic, No. 17 Stetson and New Orleans, in the first day of the Tiger Beach Challenge at Mango’s Beach Club.
LSU improved to 10-9 on the season.
“Playing at home is always really good,” said coach Russell Brock. “We have a comfort here and we have a good home court advantage at Mango’s.”
Riley Young and Maddie Ligon started the day off strong for LSU against FAU on Court 5, winning in consecutive sets, 21-13 and 21-14. Shortly after, the Court 4 duo of Megan Davenport and Emmy Allen did the same, winning 21-18 and 21-17, to put LSU up, 2-0.
Coming off being named Pair of the Week, Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss started their weekend off with a quick win, 21-8 and 21-14 on Court 1, clinching the match for the Tigers.
Haleigh Nelson and Ashley Allmer fell, 21-18 and 21-19, on Court 3 as FAU picked up its first and only win of the match. Olivia Powers and Hunter Domanski swept Court 2, 21-19 and 21-18, to give LSU the 4-1 victory to start the day.
After an hour break, LSU was set to square off against Stetson. On Court 4, Davenport and Allen fell in back-to-back sets, 21-17 and 21-19, as Stetson jumped out to an early lead. Ligon and Young fought hard to even the match with a, 21-13 and 21-14, two-set victory on Court 5.
FAU regained the lead as it took Court 2 from Nelson and Allmer in three sets. The LSU duo fought hard to pick up a 21-16 victory in set two after falling in the first set, 25-23. FAU won in the third set, 15-12, as it took the 2-1 lead over the Tigers.
Powers and Domanksi evened up the set at two when they picked up a victory on Court 3. After winning the first set, 21-19, the duo fell in the second set, 21-16. Powers and Domanski clinched the match for LSU with a 15-12 set three win. Nuss and Coppola won in back-to-back sets, 21-16 and 21-14 as LSU won over FAU 3-2.
In LSU’s third and final match of the day, it took on another Louisiana school in UNO. Kahlee York picked up her first collegiate victory, when her and Ligon won on Court 5, 21-8 and 21-12. Tatum Balard also picked up her first win dawning the Purple and Gold when her and Emily Hardesty won on Court 4, 21-18 and 21-17.
The Tigers clinched the match when Coppola and Nuss finished the day the same way they started it, with a two-set victory, 21-15 and 21-9. LSU won on Court 3 when Powers and Taylor Bradley dominated in two sets, 21-11 and 21-9.
After dropping a hard-fought set one on Court 2, 34-32, Nelson and Allen fought back to force a third set with a 21-17 victory in the second set. The LSU duo dropped the deciding set as it fell, 15-12. LSU defeated New Orleans 4-1.
“We were more comfortable and played some good volleyball today,” said Brock.
The Tigers will be back in action again tomorrow as they will take on the College of Charleston a 9 a.m. CT before playing against No. 18 Tulane at 2 p.m. to close out the day. The full Tiger Beach Challenge schedule for Sunday can be found at the bottom of the page.
#10 LSU def. #20 Florida Atlantic University, 4-1
1. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) def. Carly Scarborough/Amanda Silva (FAU) 21-8, 21-14
2. Olivia Powers/Hunter Domanski (LSU) def. Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) 21-19, 21-18
3. Erica Brok/Mackenzie Morris (FAU) def. Haleigh Nelson/Ashley Allmer (LSU) 21-18, 21-19
4. Megan Davenport/Emmy Allen (LSU) def. Nicole Navarro/Kaila Dorish (FAU) 21-18, 21-17
5. Riley Young/Maddie Ligon (LSU) def. Brittany Pellitteri/Julia Lewkowicz (FAU) 21-13, 21-14
Ext. Nicole Grant/Ashlan Cunningham (FAU) def. Lilly Kessler/Mandi Orellana (LSU) 21-17, 19-21, 15-13
#10 LSU def. #17 Stetson, 3-2
1. Kristen Nuss/Claire Coppola (LSU) def. S. Helland-Hansen/Carly Perales (STETSON) 21-16, 21-14
2. Sammee Thomas/Darby Dunn (STETSON) def. Haleigh Nelson/Ashley Allmer (LSU) 25-23, 16-21, 15-12
3. Olivia Powers/Hunter Domanski (LSU) def. Samantha Harris/Rachel Noble (STETSON) 21-19, 16-21, 15-12
4. Lauren Durham/Julie Varga (STETSON) def. Megan Davenport/Emmy Allen (LSU) 21-17, 21-19
5. Maddie Ligon/Riley Young (LSU) def. Quinci Birker/Rebecca Ingram (STETSON) 21-14, 21-19
Ext. Mandi Orellana/Emily Hardesty (LSU) def. Alexa Richardson/Katinka Krahn (STETSON) 21-17, 14-21, 15-11
#10 LSU Tigers def. New Orleans, 4-1
1. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) def. Cara Sander/Veronica Corcoran (UNO) 21-15, 21-9
2. Rachel Kuhn/Victoria Corcoran (UNO) def. Haleigh Nelson/Emmy Allen (LSU) 34-32, 17-21, 15-12
3. Olivia Powers/Taylor Bradley (LSU) def. Brianna Vega/Madison Miller (UNO) 21-11, 21-9
4. Emily Hardesty/Tatum Ballard (LSU) def. Jordan Schumacher/Kaitlyn Grice (UNO) 16-21, 21-15, 15-10
5. Lilly Kessler/Kahlee York (LSU) def. Blessing Dunn/Rhyan Rand (UNO) 21-8, 21-12
Ext. Nicole Decker/Savannah Wininger (LSU) def. Ally Carr/Maxine Walsh (UNO) 21-11, 21-17
9 a.m. No. 10 LSU vs. CofC
10 a.m. SHC vs. No. 20 FAU
11 a.m. No. 17 Stetson vs. CofC
Noon No. 18 Tulane vs. No. 20 FAU
1 p.m. No. 17 Stetson vs. UNO
2 p.m. No. 10 LSU vs. No. 18 Tulane
3 p.m. SHC vs. UNO
*all times are CT